Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The tooth will set you free!

My little angel had 3 teeth pulled yesterday. Her first big girl tooth “peeked” through quite a bit behind the others a couple weeks ago. When I called the dentist out of concern for Rachel's looks and my bank account (priorities people), they scheduled an appointment to see us, but said that we should just wiggle the tooth in front of it a lot. We did, and by the time our appointment rolled around, that tooth was almost out. BUT, the problem was that the new tooth spanned 3 of her little baby teeth, and the other two weren’t loose at all. I really expected it to be a wasted trip - the dentist to look at her and send us on our way. I thought maybe they would pull that one tooth, but when we got in, the assistant started her on the gas and prepped the table for what looked like exploratory surgery on an adult rhino. Needless to say, it got hot instantly. Mommy’s palms were sweating, and the room seemed to get smaller. A lot of numbing (of the wrong person in my opinion) went down, then it was on or atleast I think it was. I turned my head. Don't judge. I considered the waiting room, but guessed that isn't what good mommies (or non-weenies) do...He pulled the loose one without a word, the second with nothing much either, but the third Ray gave a little whimper. I came right to her aid in my heart. He gave her more numbing stuff, and then out with the last one – which had a FULL ROOT! They packed her little holes and sent us on our way. She has been such a trooper, not one tear! She did have lots of questions about the tooth fairy… Some time ago Will found his first tooth, and asked why the tooth fairy had left it. Simple, I explained… Uhhh, ummm….errr, you see…the tooth fairy is very “green”. She believes in recycling, and she left that tooth for Rachel (who had no teeth at the time). “Oh” was his response, and off to play he was. So last night, I explained that the tooth fairy was much like Santa – if you weren’t in bed, they just skip your house. Rachel was in bed in negative time, and I was left to hopefully stay awake until she wasn’t so that I could exchange the under pillow goods. She screams “MOooooomma!” from here room and I go running…”Momma, does the tooth fairy walk or fly?” I tried to remember if and how I had answered this question before... When my memory fails me, I answer a question with a question…”Don’t all fairies fly?” She exclaims “That is what I thought. What if she hits her head on my fan?” I quickly calm that fear by telling her about all the less fortunate children who have lower ceilings than us… Good night Ray. Good night Momma. “MOOOOoooooommmmaaaa!” again, of course right as I reach the bottom of the stairs. To the top I go, “Yes Ray?” again. “Momma, I have to sleep with my mouth open, and I’m not sure I can!” I ask why. “Because Momma! Because you said that if I wasn’t out of pull ups by the time I lost my first tooth that I would have to sleep with my mouth open so that the tooth fairy wouldn’t think I was a baby because babies wear pull up and babies don’t lose teeth – just big girls!” To which I sigh a big long sigh and decide that the truth will set me free…and I say shaking my head, “Ray, Ray, Ray, Ray….Uhhh, ummm….err, you see, Dentist’s have an in with the tooth fairy and they have to call and let her know when a tooth has been pulled and didn’t come out all by itself. Dr. Lorenz told her all about you.” The tooth fairy slipped in and out sometime in the night, taking her small lot of 3 teeth and leaving a $10 spot. Rachel is over the moon! A picture of Gappy is to come!

No comments: